Friday, April 22, 2011

Thai chicken soup



Before November, this would've been a recipe for Thai chicken noodle soup. So I took out the noodles and added some zucchini and everything worked out just fine. You can make this soup in no time, and it's even better the next day after the flavors have really had a chance to hang out.


2 Anaheim peppers
1 jalapeño
3 cloves garlic, sliced, chopped, minced.... whatever you prefer
1 yellow onion, cut in half and sliced into half moons
6-8 cups REDUCED SODIUM chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini (I'll tell you about this in a minute!)
3 T cilantro, chopped
1 bunch of basil, chopped
juice of 2 limes

Heat your preferred cooking fat in a big pot over med-high heat. Coconut oil would be DELICIOUS here and I can't believe I didn't think of it until now after I've already cooked the soup. Anywho....

Sautee the onions, peppers, and garlic with a couple pinches of salt until they start to soften. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Once it boils add the chicken and bring to a boil again. Reduce heat and simmer for ~7 mins, until chicken is cooked through. Add the carrots and zucchini. I decided to turn my zucchini into noodles to replace the rice noodles I used to use. Just take a veggie peeler and run along the zucchini lengthwise, and repeat. This worked wonderfully. Finally, add cilantro, basil, and lime juice and turn off the heat. Taste and add salt as needed.


I like it very spicy and the one jalapeño tonight just didn't cut it for me. I would probably throw a Serrano in there next time. I imagine this would be great with shrimp instead of chicken as well.

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious. I try and eliminate salt from my diet completely, but i guess a little low sodium broth won't kill me.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i usually make my own chicken stock with no salt and keep it in the freezer, but i haven't made any lately. so if i have to use boxed stock, i only use the low sodium stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitchen Basics also makes a "unsalted" chicken stock, which has much lower sodium content. You can find it at safeway, though it is more expensive than the other kinds. I hear TJs also has good, super low sodium stock, but I've never had it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh cool! So I was digging in the Instructables vault because my boss' wife, who is also paleo made this bitchin thai coconut soup... and i found it! I totally want to make this.

    http://www.instructables.com/id/Tom-Kha-Gai-Thai-Coconut-Soup/

    ReplyDelete
  5. that looks so good. i freakin' love coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete