So I would really appreciate it if people could comment with ideas/recipes for snacks. Here are mine:
- I try to snack on the same kinds of protein I would have for a meal. This is satisfying if I really am hungry, but we all know that most of the time we're snacking is not because we're actually hungry. I always have leftovers so I can have a couple of slices of a chicken breast, a hardboiled egg, a little piece of steak or a pork chop. Honestly though, since going Paleo-ish in November I don't have the desire to snack nearly as much as I used to.
- Deviled eggs. Slice some hardboiled eggs in half lengthwise and scoop out the yolks in a bowl. I mix mine with Dijon mustard (check the label to make sure there's no sugar in it!) and olive oil, then stuff it back in the egg whites by the spoonful. Sprinkle with paprika, cause it's not a deviled egg unless there's paprika on it!
- Take half an avocado. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, or hot sauce, or olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Eat with a spoon.
- Angie and I experimented with paleo-friendly hummus (faux hummus, or "fummus" as we call it). We used macadamia nuts and zucchini instead of garbanzo beans, and we had great success with adding roasted red peppers or roasted garlic. She documented it here.
- Unsweetened coconut flakes. These actually make you feel like you're snacking. Just pour some into a bowl and mindlessly munch away. You can find them in the bulk section of Whole Foods, and Bob's Red Mill makes some which I like because they are really big pieces. I put a small handful of the flakes, ~1/2 a box of raisins, and some nuts into a bowl to make a trail mix.
- Berries/fruit with coconut milk. I eat this because it is kinda like yogurt, kinda like a dessert, all good. I use FULL FAT coconut milk, usually Thai Kitchen brand cause there are no preservatives. You just gotta make sure to shake the can very well. I put some berries or slice a banana into a bowl and just dump some on. No measurement, just whatever I feel like.
Please, please, please chime in with what works for you when it comes to snacking!